Thursday, April 16, 2009

origins

Welcome to Muse!  I am delighted to have this space to reflect and share my intimate (behind the scenes) experience of silk painting.  Please continue check in periodically for regular updates on new pieces, stories of the trials and tribulations of the creative process, and of course for any news of upcoming Muse events.

A brief back story...

Anyone who knows me knows I'm completely obsessed with patterns. They are everywhere I look...  in the tiles on the floor beneath my toes in the morning, in the glowing street lights showing the way home at night, and don't even get me started with nature. Well, I suppose I'll start a little! Butterfly wings, tree bark, petals, skins, rock textures, water, the ethereal mixes of radiant colored sunsets streaking with glowing clouds... sigh... however I digress.

From patterns to painting... 

Although silk painting is an ancient practice originating in China thousands of years ago, it was a new experience for me when I decided to take a class for the first time. Incredible. First there were the resist lines.  Of course I became wonderfully lost in infinite variations of line work patterns ideas.  Then, after painting the open areas in and watching the vivid french dyes flow from my sumi brush spread across the silk, I simply couldn't get enough. My fascination with pattern, fabric, and fine art could finally all be expressed in combined harmony. It was an exhilarating moment!

And we're off...

So in the spirit of new beginnings, I am sharing today a picture of the first silk scarf I painted. It's named "Celestial Dance" due to the whimsical "dancing" of the sunset colors and stylized winds around the sun. It is a 22" square on silk habotai and it gracefully travels with me everywhere wrapped and coiled around my purse handle.  The colors look pretty against the white leather...

"Celestial Dance" has a special value to me as it represents my personal beginning to my ventures in silk painting. Funny how something so seemingly unsubstantial can make me positively glow inside.  "Cheers" to special treasures, "aha" moments, and to future musings!


No comments: